Tied at 3-3, the 2022 Missouri Valley Conference Women’s Tennis Championship came down to the decision of the court. 6 and it was ISU’s Elena Jankulovska who pulled out a thrilling three-set win to clinch the match and the Redbirds for the MVC Championship title on Sunday afternoon at the Roger Knapp Tennis Center in Des Moines.
“It’s like a win after the hard to find words,” ISU head coach Maja Kovacek said. “The match went back and forth and it could have been closer to the end. This was the ultimate team win and I couldn’t be more proud of all our players. There was so much determination and fighting in the beginning and I was just happy to see their hard work pay off in the best way possible. ”
Drake took the early advantage by winning the doubles point, with wins at No. 1 and No. 2. They then picked up a singles win at No. 2 to take a 2-0 lead early in the match. However, the Redbirds would rally to win three straight singles matches to take a 3-2 lead.
Maria Potsi The Redbirds for the first point of the match, as she rolled to a 6-2, 6-3 win over Daria Walczak at No. 2. 3 cut to the spot The Bulldogs’ lead to 2-1. Penelope Abreu tied the match at 2-2, with Darinka Stepan at No. 3 over her three-set victory. 5 by a score of 6-2, 3-6, 6-3. The Redbirds then took the lead, as Tijana Zlatanovic defeated Liza Petushkova in three sets 6-2, 1-6, 7-5 to make the score 3-2 in favor of ISU.
A win at No. 4 by The Bulldogs tied at 3-3, leaving the decision to court no. 6. Drake’s Kelsey Neville took the first set 7-5, but Jankulovska battled back to take the set two in a tiebreaker 9-7 leaving the match and the championship the third and final set. Neville jumped out to a 4-1 lead, but Jankulovska battled back to tie it at 4-4. Neville then took the lead again 5-4, before Jankulovska ripped off three straight games to win the third and deciding set 7-5 to clinch the Redbirds for the match and the tournament title.
The Redbirds will now watch where they will be playing in the NCAA Tournament, when the selection show airs on May 2 at 5:30 pm CT on NCAA.com.
Final Results: No. 2 Illinois State (4), no. 1 Drake (3)
1. Tijana Zlatanovic (ILS) def. Liza Petushkova (DU) 6-2, 1-6, 7-5
2. Ines Stephani (DU) def. Alexandra Abyasova (ILS) 6-4, 6-1
3. Maria Potsi (ILS) def. Daria Walczak (DU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Mille Haagensen (DU) def. Tara Damnjanovic (ILS) 3-6, 6-3, 7-5
5. Penelope Abreu (ILS) def. Darinka Stepan (DU) 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
6. Elena Jankulovska (ILS) def. Kelsey Neville (DU) 5-7, 7-6 (9-7), 7-5
1. Liza Petushkova / Daria Walczak (DU) def. Tijana Zlatanovic/Tara Damnjanovic (ILS) 6-4
2. Ines Stephani / Rebecca Ehn (DU) def. Penelope Abreu/Maria Potsi (ILS) 6-3
3. Alexandra Abyasova/Laura Fitzgerald (ILS) vs. Mille Haagensen / Darinka Stepan (DU) 5-4 unfinished
GoRedbirds.com and the Illinois State Redbirds App: Illinois State tickets for your sources, Weisbecker Scholarship Fund gifts, multimedia, Redbird merchandise, photos and more.