STEPHENVILLE – The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV) defeated the Vaqueros women’s tennis team 7-0 at the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) Southwest Division Match on Sunday at the Potishman-Lard Tennis Courts.
UTRGV (10-9, 2-2 WAC Southwest) battled the doubles courts and showed good fighting in all three matches to make things tight, but the Texans (17-4, 4-0 WAC Southwest) claimed doubles points and Second and third flights in wins with a 1-0 lead. The Vaqueros No. 1 duo of freshmen Marjorie Souza and Barbara Martinez 5-5 in its match, which went unfinished.
The UTRGV lineup was different compared to the first meeting between the two squads in February. Souza moved up to No. 1 sophomore while singles spot Isabelle Bahr played at No. 2. Sophomore Stefanie Wilske and junior Harlingen South alum Valeria Montero occupied the fifth and sixth flights, respectively. The doubles portion was complete when the Montero was subbed.
Tarleton won the Nos. 3, 4 and 6 singles matches to secure the team victory 4-0. UTRGV made the Texans work on the remaining courts, but they held a sweep to match and maintain their top spot in the WAC Southwest Division with an unbeaten conference record.
Bahr won the first set in the No. 2 match 6-3, then dropped a back-and-forth second frame 4-6 to Jemileth Aguilar. The third set was a 10-point tiebreaker won by 10-6 by Aguilar. Wilske fought hard at No. 5 flight. She lost a close first set of 4-6, then went on a competitive second set with point-for-point Celia Vaudiau, answering every score by pushing Vaudiau to the frame with a tiebreaker 6-6. Vaudiau took a tight 7-5 win in a tiebreaker to claim the match victory.
UTRGV will play one final regular-season match April 16 at 10 am against the Lamar at the Orville Cox Tennis Center, where they’ll honor the seniors before heading to the WAC Tournament. The Vaqueros are hosting a free juniors clinic April 9 at The Orville Cox Tennis Center.
Singles (3, 4, 6, 1, 2, 5)
1. Deniza Marcinkevica (TSU) def. Marjorie Souza (UTRGV) 6-4, 6-2
2. Jemileth Aguilar (TSU) def. Isabelle Bahr (UTRGV) 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-6)
3. Martha Makantasi (TSU) def. Sandra Putz (UTRGV) 6-1, 6-2
4. Elsa Boisson (TSU) def. Barbara Martinez (UTRGV) 6-2, 6-2
5. Celia Vaudiau (TSU) def. Stefanie Wilske (UTRGV) 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
6. Anna Hosking (TSU) def. Valeria Montero (UTRGV) 6-1, 6-1
Doubles (2, 3)
1. Marjorie Souza/Barbara Martinez (UTRGV) vs. Martha Makantasi / Deniza Marcinkevica (TSU) 5-5, unfinished
2. Elsa Boisson / Jemileth Aguilar (TSU) def. Katarina Sasaroga/Isabelle Bahr (UTRGV) 6-3
3. Faustine Palatte / Celia Vaudiau (TSU) def. Sandra Putz/Kristyna Mamicova (UTRGV) 6-3
Support UTRGV Women’s Tennis | Become a Fan on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | Follow us on Instagram | Follow us on YouTube